In 2011 Lady Game Kindergarten proudly celebrated
50 years of service to families
Read on for our story...
“We made a kindergarten and we also made a community. People helped even if they had no children. We all helped each other."— Pat Gardner
In 1939, Air Force huts were built in the West Lindfield and Killara area. In 1945, they became temporary housing for English immigrants, and a Kindergarten Union (KU) kindergarten was established. However, the temporary housing was closed sometime around 1950 and the KU kindergarten was closed too. The need for another preschool was recognised in the early 1950's.
In 1957, a public meeting was instigated by Mrs Patricia Gardner, a highly motivated and community-spirited lady, and it was decided at that meeting to build a community centre that would not only incorporate a kindergarten but also serve the community. An agreement was reached with Ku-ring-gai Council that the Council would cover 50% of the cost of constructing a "Community Hall" which would house a "Community Kindergarten" during the week days.
Pat Gardner walked the neighbourhood with another volunteer for two years, collecting six shillings per participating family, per month. At the end of two years, six thousand pounds had been raised by the community, and another six contributed by the council. The "Community Hall" was built, with local tradespeople involved.
The kindergarten was named after the wife of the Governor of NSW, Phillip Game, and a request was made in writing to the Governor to obtain permission for the name. Despite having no children of her own, Pat Gardner retained an active interest in the kindergarten for 20 years as a lifelong Vice President. The timber block trolleys used by the children today were made by her husband. She passed away in the late 1990's but her community service is recognised and remembered by the naming of "Patricia Gardner Reserve" adjacent to the hall and also by the sculptured possum with plaque in the kindergarten playground.